Friday, July 13

Feint in Dungeons and Dragons

In my quest for a nice, thematic swashbuckler, I stumbled upon the feint-rules, which I havn't given much thought before. It turned out that a succesfull feint takes away the dex-bonus from your opponents AC for your next attack.

Now, combine this with the fact that a Rogues sneak attack is applicable whenever the opponent has lost his Dex-bonus to AC in any way.

So, for my Swashbuckler character that I have posted below, I'll add improved initiative and a couple of levels of bluff. Improved initiative lets you do a feint maneuver as a move action. Consider for instance this best-case scenario for him when he has reached 2nd level, taking a level of Rogue. He is in a fight, and it is his turn to go. In his move action, he feints. Let's assume that he succeeds and his opponent is now only using his flat-footed AC. For his attack, he uses combat expertise to incerase his AC and lower his attack bonus. Since his opponent is flat footed, that should be OK. If this attack would hit, the damage would be 3D6 (1 from the weapon, 1 from sneak attack and 1 from the feat Deadly Defence). Not bad for a 2nd level character.

No comments: