Sunday, August 31

So many games, so little time

I admit it: I suffer from gamers ADD! In my case that means that I am so easily distracted when I find a new shiny (or not so shiny. Just today I was reading about Don't rest your head) game. It's not just limited to new games. Sometimes it's enough with a new neat idea for an old game.

Problem is that there are so many nice games out there. If I were to write a list of games I've considered just this year it wuold propably at least ten games long. On it you would find games like changeling, DC universe, hunter, mutants &masterminds, true20/ Freeport,castle fallenstein and nobilis, just to mention I few.

I try to focus. There are definite plusses with playing a game a little longe. That way you get a stronger connection to your character, the world and the game itself. This is especially true if the game has a slightly unusual premise like nobilis, dogs in the vineyard or castle fallenstein.

So, how do you solve that dilemma? How do you stick with one game long enough to get to know it at the same time as you are curious to try out new games or ideas?

So far, my solution (and that of my gaming group) has been to combine slightly longer campaigns (6-9 months) with shorter mini-campaigns (3-5 sessions) and the occasional one-off.

This way you get to do some longer gaming, but with an insert of the odd indie-game-try-out now and then.

No comments: