Monday, January 28

Small but important details

The other day I played my first game of True20. It was a nice little game which I thoroughly enjoyed for many reasons. One was my little Adept who could make small light-shapes to illuminate his surroundings, but that's not the reason for this post.

It is the format of the book. We all had the True20 Pocket Players guide, which is a conviniently sized soft-cover. Even though we all played the game for the first time, looking up rules and finding answers was a breeze (with one exception.. the damage system took some readings to get our head around, but apart from that).

This made the game flow fairly quickly for a new game, and I (since I also had a copy of the rules) tried to assist the GM while he was running the game.

Coming from games like DnD, WoD and similar, I was impressed by how much it helped having a well-organized, simple-to-handle book. Sometimes we forget these little details and how they can affect gameplay.

To tie this post into my previous posts about the three-layer model, I would put these aspects as a firm third layer component. It doesn't change the rules one bit, but it does have influence on gameplay (if you as a player choose to use it).




Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: