Wednesday, February 24

In with the new

Some time ago I got a few remarks for my habit of looking at new games, often suggesting that we try out this-or-that system. Why do I do that? Why don't I stay with the mainstream games, where it's easy to find players, that I already know how to play?

Well, quite honestly, there is a simple reason:

The mainstream, regular games.. are starting to bore me. Most of the bigger, mainstream games today stick with principles that haven't evolved since the early 80's. Too often, a nights gaming can consist of a number of die rolls that may or may not affect what happens to your character.

More than once, I've tried to build an interesting character in games like DnD or Star Wars Saga, only to find out that interesting characters are sub-optimal. The way to go, if you want some time in the spotlight, are to maximise how you pick stuff from long lists.

I don't care about if my character wins all the battles, but I do care if my character makes a difference, get some time in the spotlight. Problem is, in most bigger games, time in the spotlight equals combat efficiency.

Sorry, but that's not my cup of tea. Especially when there are heaps of new games that at least try to be more exciting.

Admittedly, I also have a weak spot for trying out new things. But on the other hand, why shouldn't I? Why should I not want to try out things that seem to offer other and different things than the ones I've tried AND found lacking in many areas?

So, here's a virtual toast to all new and interesting games out there. May you live long and prosper!

No comments: