Thursday, July 8

Hamlet's hit point - New book by Robin Laws

It seems that the good man Robin D Laws has another book coming. "Hamlet's hit points", as the book is called, is a book about story structure, and how you as a GM can use classic story structure to make a more exciting game.

I must admit, I am a bit sceptical about this. The more I game, the less I see the point of having a story structure in my game. Roleplaying isn't story-writing in the classical sense, but the story emerges from the decisions and relations of the player characters (at least in the games I prefer to run). I don't know if I'm overly sensitive here, but the blurb mentions ".. you'll be equipped to lay compelling track for an emotional roller-coaster". To me, that suggests that the GM more or less should railroad the adventure so that it fits HIS idea of what is a good story or plan.

However, I have the deepest respect for mr Laws, and when he says that he'll present this subject from a roleplayers perspective, then I'm more than willing to give the book the benefit of a doubt. The books is arriving in August, so I guess we'll get some answers then.

"HAMLET’S HIT POINTS"

No comments: