Wednesday, March 5

Slight interface change in Mutants and Masterminds

In the Green Ronin game Mutants and Masterminds, you buy your stats and modifiers with points. This includes your Attack Bonus, which is bought independently of your stats.

Each level of Attack Bonus costs 2 points, and encompases both Melee and Ranged combat.

Later on, when you are buying feats, it's also possible to buy a particular feat that lets you add 1 to either melee och ranged combat. This feat can be bought multiple times, adding one to either combat type per level. Each feat costs one point.

From a user standpoint, this means that if I, for instance, want to build an archer I might reason that an archer needs to have a good Attack bonus, since he is a good shooter. So, I spend points on getting a high general attack bonus.

What I should have done instead is get a low attack bonus and then increase the ranged attack bonus with the feat. This way of thinking, however, isn't clear in the book.

Consider this instead:

Attack bonus is bought for Melee and Ranged attacks separately. Each level costs 1 point. The feat that lets you specialize is removed entirely (since it's no longer needed).

The effect of this gamewise is exactly the same as the original rules, but it's much easier for me as a player (especially as an inexperienced player) to think about how to build my character. Using the example above, I it feels natural to get a slightly lower melee attack bonus and a higher ranged attack bonus.

This changed doesn't change the behaviour or the implementation of the system, but it does change my perception of it, making this a change at the User Interface/ Presentation level that I would say makes the game easier.



No comments: