Tuesday, June 8

Can RPG's be used for all genres?

Lately, one question has been nagging me more and more. What if not all genres are suitable for RPG's?

So far in life, I've been more or less convinced that most genres could be simulated in a roleplaying game, given a decent rules-set, good gm-ing and well written adventures. Now, I'm not that certain anymore...

For instance, the occasions where I really feel that I'm in an action packed session.. well, they are few and far between. Same thing goes for when I'm playing super hero games (which, admittedly, was a while ago). I don't have the same impact, the same geist as when I read the comics or watch the movies. Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad, just not the same.

So... maybe... When I run or play a roleplaying game.. maybe I shouldn't try to emulate genres from other media, but rather from rpg's themselves. Maybe the game in itself is unique enough! I don't need my super hero rpg be like the comics or the movies. Instead, the rules and the form gives other aspects, other experiences that are enjoyable. To find these, perhaps, I shouldn't look at other media, but instead look more closely at what I enjoy to play in a roleplaying game.

What a novel idea! ;-)

No comments: