Friday, April 2

To much background will kill you!

Ok, maybe it doesn't… but for me, it kills the mood! There are several games out there that have deep, detailed and complex backgrounds and settings. I'm thinking about games like Exalted, various DnD-settings or Fading Suns.

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I read a game with a solid, detailed setting I tend to be intimidated. There is ONE single game (ok, let's say two) where I've actually enjoyed reading the background (also known as "fluff"). But for the rest, it's like reading the history-books all over again. (Now, don't get me wrong.. I like history.. but the real one, the one that actually happened).

Now, where was I? Yes, to much background… Another issue with it is that I'm feeling constrained by it. It's harder for me to wing it if I have a detailed large setting to keep track of. This actually extends to when I'm preparing adventures, double checking everything to see if it fits with what's written etc.

So, whith that said.. what DO I like instead? Let's call it Meta-setting! A perfect example would be DnD4th, the core books. They call it "the points of light"-setting, which is a dark, violent, dangerous world, where cities and villages are the only safe places. The rest is wilderness, where only heroes venture. Note that they are not actually including any maps, cities, hardly any names etc. Just the basic type and theme of the setting.

Another good example is Starblazers. Same thing there, it has a set premise, a theme, but no details. Rather, it spoils the GM and the players with tips, tricks and mechanics for how to run your games in that TYPE of setting.

Those types of games I enjoy, because the make me inspired, not intimidated. I can feel creative, not constrained.

And for those wondering.. the two games where I actually enjoyed reading the setting? The first one is Houses of the Blooded, by John Wick (but then again, the man's a genius), and the second one is the setting book Freedom City for Mutants and Masterminds (which is just brilliant)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree completely. Nowadays I prefer my settings to be the skeleton where I supply the meat.
My favourites are still Centauri Knights and Uresia: Grave of Heaven. Both were 96 page BESM books that presented the perfect amount of detail to inspire ideas without drowning you in too much detail.