Friday, June 6

DnD4 Countdown 0 - It's here and I've got it

So, it's finally here!

After a visit to my gaming store, I got home with the three books (and a 16 minis and a voucher for a dm screen and some character sheets).

So, after a quick look through it, what are my first impressions?

  • The books doesn't look as good as the 3.5 did. I'm sorry, but I don't like the new design. It's a bit to plastic. Oh yeah.. the new D20-logo? Sorry, it's pure ugly.
  • The interior, on the other hand is very nice. Perhaps not winning any design awards, but definately good looking.
  • Another aspect of the design is readability and overview. In this area, the game shines. On the hour long trip on the train I flipped through it, and many concepts where easy to grasp and very clearly described. Chapters and pages are very nicely layd out, with accesibility and readability as high priorities.
  • The sections for each class are big. All powers (at-will, encounter and daily) are described in this part. I'm not sure it's good or bad, but it feels strange after being used to class-sections no longer than 1 or 2 pages.
  • My guess about the warlord seems to hold true. It's definately a class I will be playing soon. Perhaps with a dragonbord, that seems like an interesting class (which is interesting since I never considered that race before getting the books.
So, time to create a couple of characters and go out and play.

No comments: