Monday, May 26

DnD4 Countdown 11 - The online applications

One of the main points when DnD4 was presented was the online applications. Basically all the rules will be online, and you will be able to create characters, build virtual minis and even play a full game of DnD online.

All this is good, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. However, there is one thing I hope the staff at WotC takes a good look at.

That is d20srd.org. Nothing more than the d20 srd online, thoroughly hyperlinked. Simple, elegant, fast and usable. There is one hidden feature though. You can generate die-rolls for skill checks, damages etc if you click the correct value. For instance, if you click the Initiative-value for a creature, an initiative-roll is made and shown in a popup window.

So, why do I bring up this? Because this is what I want the online dnd-books to look like. Before trying to add a lot of eye-candy, make sure that the base-line functionality is solid and transparent.

Having said that, the online initiative is interesting, and I do believe that it can add interesting aspects to roleplaying, as long as it's executed well. My only real worry is the pricing. It seems like it will cost about the same as major brand MMORPGs, and to me, that is a tad to much. I now that you get a lot with that subscription, but paying 10-15 dollars/ month for something that is mainly game support is to much.

With that said, I do wish them good luck with the project, and hope that other game publishers follow suit in one way or the other.

No comments: