Saturday, May 17

DnD4 Countdown 20 - DMG then and now

I didn't play much AD&D when I was younger. Apart from the odd adventure or two me and my gaming group stuck to other games like Gurps or MERP.

However, I could spend hours creating random dungeons and random "summoned creatures" using that book. Somehow within those covers lay the promise of adventure and excitement.

When I bought the current edition 3.5, I expected that same sense of adventure. I was, however, disappointed. I can't put my finger on it, but something was lacking. I didn't really get that same sense of adventure.

What I read about 4th makes me optimistic though. Things like quests and skill challenges looks like they are interesting, and overall I get the impression that DnD4 DMG wont let me down.

Now, DM-books (or GM-books, for those who prefer that) are often quite generic, so I thought I'd list other books that have influenced my GM-ing.

  • Robin Laws guide to Good gamemastering
  • Listen up you primitive screwheads (for Cyberpunk 2010)
  • Theatrix (a dieless RPG. Can be read as a game or as a very good GM Guide)
  • Gurps: Illuminati
  • Werewolf storytellers guide (for old World of Darkness)

No comments: